Monday, March 11, 2019

Men's Clothes...Who Picks Them Out?

Whenever I see a man dressed in an overly noticeable way, I often find myself wondering if he really picked out those clothes or did his wife or significant other go clothes-shopping for him?

The first time I met my husband, he was in a bucket truck in the neighbor's yard cutting down a tree.  He had on jeans, boots, and a white t-shirt with the sleeves cut off.  I noticed what clothes he was wearing because I was drawn to the muscle definition in his arms, chest, and back as he maneuvered his chainsaw.  As I stood there staring out my kitchen window at him, I might have drooled a bit.  I called my friend, Dana, and told her all about this tree man I was watching through my kitchen window as if I were Gladys Kravitz on Bewitched!  I needed some sort of plan to make contact with this guy without looking like a crazed idiot.  Dana and I decided to have one of the boys run over and find out if tree man could cut a limb that was scraping the roof of my house.  (There really was a limb scraping in case you are wondering!)  Chet was the one who volunteered to run over and came back and said tree man could cut the limb for $50 bucks.  At the time, I thought I was getting a good deal because I wouldn't have to replace any shingles or repair any other damage to my roof.   Now that I know more about the business, I feel I might have gotten robbed!!  I give my husband a hard time when we're reminiscing about how we first met.  I tell him that he robbed me, but he tells me that he was just trying to earn a living and had I come back with a counteroffer he would have considered it and since I didn't I must have thought $50 bucks was fair.

Roll forward about five years, we ran into each other again at the grocery store, but this time he was wearing old yellow and very faded swimming trunks...out in public...and he had no plans to go swimming!!  I don't understand how anyone could leave the house in their swimming trunks if they weren't going swimming?!  Even athletic shorts make me want to hurl.  They are despicable!  I never want to dress my husband by laying out his clothes each morning nor do I want to tell him what he can and can't wear, but I draw the line when it comes to swimming trunks and athletic shorts!  Ew!

There has been one offense since I drew the line.  I stopped by the house to pick him up and he came out wearing long, wide-legged and flowing, white athletic shorts.  Because we were in a hurry to get to a track meet I didn't say anything, I just gave him the look.  He knew.  He tried to plead his case and told me he was going to an athletic event and he was dressed for the occasion.  Very displeased, I put the car in drive and headed down the road.  Needless-to-say, he hasn't worn them out in public since...that I know of!  In fact, wearing of the swimming trunks or athletic shorts is heavily frowned down upon in the King house.  So much so, he's switched to wearing boxer shorts!!  I find this rather amusing and I think he feels he has one-uped me, but I secretly don't mind the boxer shorts if it keeps him from wearing the other two repulsive items.  I have tried to grab every pair of athletic shorts or old swim trunks that I run across, but they seem to be endless as if they are multiplying in their hiding places!!  I certainly don't want to take a chance of a repeat offense going into this year's track season, so when I do find a pair, they disappear!  Poof!

Do you pick out or purchase your boyfriend, husband or significant other's clothes?  Inquiry minds want to know!

One of these days, we will be old and gray and I hope his style of clothing doesn't veer too much from the normal jeans, shirts, and shorts.  Let's get real, his fashion statement is definitely not what swooped me off my feet!!  I don't know what I will do if he starts wearing bright primary colored shirts with plaid, striped, or pattern-printed pants, or begins lining the dashboard of our car with bobbing dogs, stuffed animals, or baseball hats or worse yet, starts riding a tricycle with artificial flowers duct-taped to the antenna.  I guess I will just continue to love him and all of his uniqueness til death do us part.


2 comments:

  1. I’m pretty certain I’ve seen the same yellow swim trunks fairly recently... like for sure within the last year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he hides them because he's had them for 20 years or so...he's like Linus and likes his blanket only he likes his old, comfortable shorts!! lol

      Delete